Rio De Janeiro’s Celebration Kick Start Olympics 2016: Maracana Stadium, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil formally inaugurated the Olympics 2016 with a vivacious and exciting Opening Ceremony on the evening of 5 August , Friday evening..
Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony: The games started on 5 August 2016 and will last till 21 August 2016 according to the Rio Time Brazil Standard Time (BST)
Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony: Full media coverage will be provided to billions of viewers by BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Four, Red Button and up to 24 HD video streams on mobile, desktop, connected TVs and app, plus follow on Radio 5 live and via live text commentary .
Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony Pictures | Rio de Janeiro Brazil 2016 Olympic Games
The Games, were first to be held in South America, have additionally been disturbed by worries over the Russian doping outrage, the Zika infection and issues with the city’s security, infrastructure and poverty. With the country already struggling to make its ends meet the whole ceremony cost way less than the 36 million pounds spent at the London Olympic Opening Ceremony .
Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony: The Brazilians opened up to the artistic spectacle to showcase and celebrate the beauty of their country, history and culture. Vanderlei de Lima , former marathon runner who won the Bronze medal for Brazil lit the Olympic cauldron.The broadcast was witnessed by an estimated audience of three billion worldwide and 78,000 spectators at the Maracana.
As the ceremony progressed further Andy Murray, the Wimbledon Champion led the Great Britain team into the Olympic arena.
28 sports, with 207 teams, after the Games of the 31st Olympiad have officially been opened for the whole event.
A video showing the whole history and legacy of the country was projected on the floor of the stadium while Paulinho da Viola an acoustic singer played a beautiful performance of the Brazilian National Anthem.
The projections also showed famous Brazilian buildings across which entertainers hopped and danced symbolizing the urban communities of Brazil. The greatest cheers of the night were drawn by a creation of Brazilian artist Alberto Santos-Dumont – a recreation of 14 bis plane.
Other exciting highlights of the night include; Rio De Janeiro’s Celebration Kick Start Olympics 2016
- Many famous sports celebrities lead their respective teams as flag bearers among whom include Rafal Nadal (Spain), Michael Phelps (USA). The shirtless Tonga flag bearer Pita Taufatofua became an instant internet sensation.
- The opening ceremony also gave a warm welcome to a team of refugee athletes who originated from Syria, Sudan, Ethiopia and Congo.
- The girl from Ipanema, Brazils proud super model Gisel Bundchen walked the ramp in her glittery attire and was later seen dancing in the crowd.
- Team Bolivia competitor Jose Quintanilla couldn’t contain his emotions as he entered the Maracana stadium, the beautiful moment was caught on camera.
- The whole night was a mesmerizing spectacle and we cannot help but holler ‘ Let the games begin’.